Sunday, July 31, 2011

The Human Experience

Every morning while I'm getting ready I like to watch a new documentary on Netflix...most the time they're about food and weight but today I decided to watch one in a different genre. It was called The Human Experience. If you haven't seen it I highly recommend it. I loved it and learned so much. I had a little awakening while watching it and wanted to share. As human beings it is in our nature to think about ourselves and our needs on a daily basis. Thinking about ourselves is a natural part of life but when we get so caught up in our lives and forget to look outside of us that's where we go wrong. I am guilty of this everyday. In this documentary a group of young adult men decide to look outside themselves and experience life in a totally different way, in the shoes of their fellow men. I won't tell you the experiments because I want you to watch it but I will tell you that I realized a lot about life. No matter how hard the road life is meant to be joyful. We are meant to experience pain and hurt and sadness but are also meant to experience joy and love and life. I thought about this in terms of my weight loss journey that I have been on for a little over a year now. There are days when I just don't want to get out of bed and gripe the whole way to the gym and at the gym. Days when I get frusterated with the weight I STILL have to lose and how hard it's going to be. After watching this documentary I realized that I have NOTHING to complain about. My life is almost perfect compared to some of the individuals they interviewed yet they were still smiling. One individual said, "There is nothing that bad to keep a smile off my face, I'm alive aren't I? Yes, I have leprosy. Yes, my family left me. Yes, I look different but I am able to experience the sunlight, and converse with my fellow brothers and sisters in our leprosy colony." I am determined to reach outside my box and find joy in EVERYTHING! I am determined to work through the pain of running, the pain of lifting, the pain of heartbreak and keep going. Be strong. At least we're a live!! It's a beautiful journey. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment